Port Royal Plantation
Port Royal is Hilton Head Island’s only private oceanfront residential community and is located on the “heel” of Hilton Head where Port Royal Sound meets the Atlantic Ocean. The Port Royal Plantation is very unique in that it sustains a dual personality with two distinct communities existing within its boundaries. Its layout ensures that the two remain separate. A security gate at the entrance to the residential section shields the owners from the many resort guests. And the amenities are intended to protect the privacy of the property owners, while also providing vacationers with selective use. It was here that Captain William Hilton first landed in 1663, discovering his future namesake, and later where Union troops stormed ashore in 1861. Among the many historical sites in the Plantation (which are permanently protected), there are also many other amenities.
- Approximately 1,250 acres and over 2,100 lovely single-family homes. Since the entire plantation used to be on septic tanks, the lots are very large.
- Over four (4) miles of private white beaches, accessible through private beach walks.
- Three 18-hole Golf Courses (one of which is always private on a rotating basis): Barony, Planter’s Row, Robber’s Row
- Two (2) Championship croquet courts.
- Port Royal Racquet club: 16 courts, featuring all three Grand Slam surfaces (grass, clay, and hard court). Four (4) are private; Eight (8) are lighted. Tennis clinics are offered.
- Port Royal Clubhouse: Conference facilities, gourmet dining and a smaller “pub” type restaurant.
- Resident’s Club: An oceanfront swim and tennis club with a full-size Olympic outdoor pool, smaller children’s pool, locker rooms, and beach access, for use by residents only. Indoor facility can also be “loaned out” to residents for parties and gatherings.
- Westin Resort: Located just outside the security gate into Port Royal, this resort offers swimming pools, a Health Club, a variety of restaurants, shops, and conference facilities.
- Numerous historical landmarks — only accessible to the residents of the Plantation.
- Steam Gun Point: Found here are relics of a steam-fired cannon that protected the Port Royal Sound during the Spanish American War. There are also remains of the Union campsites from the time of the Civil War.
- Fort Sherman: Built by Union troops after capturing Fort Walker from the Confederacy, the high beams remain.
- Arboretum: Nature paths and identification of native plants.
- Association Fee: Improved: $795.00/year; Unimproved: $676.00/year